'It's Complicated" and other movies

On a lighter note, I don't want to complain when some of you are facing single digit wind chill but it is very cold in FL also.....before you sneer at me we are facing the possibility of a FREEZE tonight.
Anyway, the weather sent us running inside today. We chose to go to the movies and saw "it's complicated". We both were thoroughly pleased. Alec Baldwin was very good in the madcap comedic role, Meryl Streep was wonderful as always and believe or not Steve Martin played the straight man.
Last week, when it was cold, we saw Invictus. It's hard to imagine so much forgiveness in one person. Again we were satisfied.
"Up in the Air" however left us cold. We were thoroughly enjoying the movie and then the end hit as cold as the blast of air outside. It wasn't the kind of emptiness that causes discussion, it was just emptiness, as if they forgot something. Perhaps that was what they were going for.

Comments

  1. Hi Sandy--I figured out how to get to your previous posts. I'm with you on the early comments--feeling as if there is something I'm supposed to be doing, but not sure what it is. Unlike you, I haven't thought about doing anything of a global nature. I've been doing things locally (not the overwhelming volunteering that I used to do, but small things where I feel I can make a difference). Still...each drop feels like a very small drop in a very large bucket.

    Regarding your film comments: Clark and I saw It's Complicated and loved it. I saw it again with a friend and then bought the DVD when it came out. I had the same feelings you did for Up in the Air. I generally like George Clooney, and, with all of the hoopla around the movie, I expected that it was going to be something really good. I know that the movie was supposed to make us feel the emptiness, and it did. But no message stayed with me from the film. And, I was never able to make the leap from watching characters in a movie to feeling as if I connected to the people (the thing that all good movies and books do for me). Not sure it was worth the two hours spent watching it. Still haven't seen Invictus. It's in my Netflix queue so it's something I'm looking forward to. I took a course in South Africa and Apartheid when I was in college. At the time, of course, Mandela was in jail, and Apartheid was the way of the land. I love Morgan Freeman and am anxious to see the movie and his portrayal of Nelson Mandela. If you want a rental suggestion, take a new look at Cry the Beloved Country. Spectacular acting and a message as a powerful as the book's message (not always the case, in my opinion). Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Pam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog